- To prepare high quality Computer/IT/Bio-informatics professionals for a global market by grooming them appropriatly & develop students sensitivity and capability to continually respond to changing technology and working environments, by using an 'active learning' approach.
- To enable research in Computer, Bio-informatics & IT related field by creating experimental laboratories & exploring frontiers areas in the IT field & to enable students to accept opportunities in a framework of professionally sound and quality conscious organizations, as well as to take up entrepreneurial ventures.
The last three decades have witnessed the emergence of Computer & Information Technology as a major thrust area in the global scenario. During recent past, these areas had also been fastest growing service sector & shall continue to be so in near future. The department of Computer Science was established in 1990 by the University Grants Commission (UGC) with the basic aim to serve the students of Vindhya Region with job oriented courses, to start the one-year (two-semesters) full time course of Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science and Applications (PGDCA) & since then it has been continuously playing the central role in creating computer awareness and popularizing the use of computers within the University campus and around. This Department has also been entrusted with the responsibility of managing the PGDCA course through correspondence, which also requires full-time involvement during Personal Contact Program (PCP) of atleast 15 days for each batch (generally 2 to 3 batches in each year) in the University campus. Having gained the experience of running the PGDCA course for eight years, even with very limited facilities and faculty positions and encouraged with the employability of the pass-outs, Department of Computer Science started following courses Under Self Supporting Program in subsequence years
1. M.Sc. (Computer Science) Commencement year 1999 – 2000
2. M.Sc. (Information technology) Commencement year 2000 – 2001
3. M.Sc. (Bio-Informatics), Commencement year 2004-2005
4. Advanced P.G. Diploma In Bioinformatics Commencement year 2005-2006
5. M.Phil . (Computer Science), Commencement year 2006-2007
The worthiness of these courses can be gauged from the fact that the students who had offered these courses, were successful in getting placement even during recession era. More than 90% students passed from this Department are well placed. Many of them are working offshore & getting good package.
Department of Computer Science offers Ph. D. Program in Computer Science. Area of research include AI, MLT, Computational Biology, Internet security, Data Mining, Parallel Computing etc.
Centre for Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is a newly emerging interdisciplinary research area which serves as link between biological and Computational sciences. It integrates the advances in the areas of Computer Science, Information Science and Information Technology to solve complex problems in Life Sciences and has evolved into a full-fledged scientific discipline in recent years.. It has a key role to play in R & D areas such as functional genomics, proteomics, protein engineering, metabolic pathway engineering, pharmacogenomics, discovery of new drugs and vaccines, molecular diagnostic kits, agro-biotechnology etc. Developments in this field have direct implication on the key issues related to Healthcare, Medicine, Discovery of next generation drugs, Development of agricultural products etc. In view of the increasing demand and requirement of trained manpower in the area of Bioinformatics, Department of computer Science, A.P.S. University Rewa, instituted two year M.Sc. Bioinformatics course & one year, Advanced P.G. Diploma in Bioinformatics course under self supporting program, the later supported by UGC under Innovative Program(2005). The students who have completed the Advanced Diploma/ M.Sc. Course in Bioinformatics during the last five years, have either pursued advanced research or have been gainfully employed at various Indian and multinational Computer/Biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries
The Department is also funded by DBT under BIF Program, Implementation of which is under process...