REGULATION NO. 2
PROCEDURE FOR THE CONDUCT OF THE MEETINGS OF THE ACADEMIC COUNCIL
1. The meetings of the Academic Council shall be held atleast
once in a year or at such time as the Vice Chancellor
2. The Vice Chancellor shall preside at meeting of the Academic Council. In the
absence of the Vice Chancellor at
any meeting, the Rector, if any, shall preside at the meeting. In
the absence of the Vice Chancellor the senior most
Dean present shall preside at the meeting.
3. The Registrar shall issue notice of meetings, record the minutes of proceedings
and discharge such other duties as
may be prescribed.
4. (a) Meetings shall be convened under the direction of the Vice
(b) A special meeting shall be convened on a
requisiton signed by at least one fourth members of the Academic
Council. The requisition
shall specify the business for considering which the meeting is to be called.
(c) The Vice Chancellor may, at any time, call
an emergent meeting but no specific business that is not of
shall be transacted thereat. A notice shall be issued 48 hours before the time of the
5. Except in the case of meeting convened by the Vice Chancellor
under Sub-paragraph (c) of paragraph 4 of the
Regulation, not less than twenty clear days
notice of the time and place of the meeting shall be given to the members.
6. Any member of the Academic Council may make recommendation or
proposal to the Academic Council. Such
recommendation or proposal shall be sent
in the form of letter through the Registrar and shall be considered by the
Council at the earliest date possible.
7. Member wishing a proposal to place before the Academic Council
shall be sent so as to reach the Registrar at least
ten clear days before the meeting.
8. (i) Thirty members of the Academic Council shall form a quorum.
(ii) No quorum shall be required at an
adjourned meeting or an emergent meeting.
9. Except in the case of an emergent meeting convened by the Vice
Chancellor under sub-paragraph (c) of paragraph
4 of this Regulation, the agenda, together with
a short note on each item of the agenda, shall be despatched at
least seven days before the date of the
meeting. Members of the Academic Council may ask for additional
information if any, on the items of the agenda
in case this is communicated to the Registrar at least three days
before the date of the meeting.
10. No business shall be transacted at the meeting other than that specified
in the agenda, provided that the
Chairman may bring forward any business for
consideration although not specified in the agenda.
11. A meeting may be adjourned to any day in order to complete the
unfinished business. Absent members may also
be informed of such adjournment, if
12. Except as provided otherwise, all acts of the Academic Council
and all questions coming or arising before them
shall be done and decided by the
majority of such members thereof as are present and vote at the meeting.
13. The chairman shall have a vote and in the case of equality of
votes, a casting vote.
14. The minutes of the proceedings of every meeting shall be drawn
up by the Registrar and countersigned by the
Chairman. The minutes of a meeting
of the Academic Council shall be circulated to the members, not later than
fifteen days after the date of the
meeting. Comments, if any may be invited from the members so as to reach the
office preferably before the
15. Subject to the foregoing provisions, the Vice Chancellor may
apply any of the Regulations of procedure for matter
at meetings of the court.
16. The minutes shall be confirmed at the next meeting of the