The Department of Chemistry of A.P.S. University, Rewa was established in 1984, with the basic aim to cater the needs of students of Vindhya Region which is a socially and economically backward part of the central India. Situated on border of U.P. & M.P., this region is rich in natural resources, like limestone, bauxite, coal, diamond, granite and iron etc. Based on these resources major industries like cement, aluminium, coal (power) and paper are operating since past fifty years. Chemical Sciences is the backbone of these major industries. Most of such industrial units are in the university jurisdiction.
Despite all natural resources and manpower, the younger generation of the region lacked technical skills to exploit the resources available. Local stalwarts` and academicians felt that by providing proper guidance, quality teaching and technical knowledge, this region can be developed and brought in the main stream of the country. With these objectives the then Vice-chancellor Prof. Hira Lal Nigam, a renowned Inorganic Chemist, took all the pains to establish a Department of Chemistry in this University. The department came into existence in July 1984 and regular faculty was appointed in January 1985. Postgraduate teaching and research programme were undertaken by the department to fulfill aims and goal of the department. M. Phil. programme was later on introduced in the curriculum but due to shortage of faculty it was suspended. Now M. Phil. programme is being run under self supporting programme.
The educational policies, goals and objectives of the department are reviewed and revised frequently by the Departmental Committee/Board of studies / Faculty of Science /Academic Planning and Evaluation Board of the University. Eminent subject expert, educationist and academicians from other Universities and Institutes are involved in the overall development of the department.
Some Achievements of the Department
- This department was given the status of "Department of Excellence" in 1989 by Madhya Pradesh Higher Education.
- The department is successfully running research schemes sanctioned by the pioneering funding agencies in the field of Science viz. DST, CSIR, AICTE, UGC, MPCST etc.
- The department has a very strong research group.
- All faculty members have strong links to other research group nationally as well as internationally and on an average 10 research papers are being published.
- Research Scholars are always encouraged to participate in National and International Seminars and present their research work.
- One of our student was awarded his Ph. D. from Universidad de Granada, Spain.
- Students who have passed out from this department are employed in many prestigious institutes.
- The department has been recognized by UGC under DRS scheme.
- The department has organised workshops, Teachers oriented programms and seminars.