The Department of Computer Science was established in 1990 by the University Grants Commission (UGC), with the objective of imparting quality education in the field of Computer Science and Applications and serves the students of Vindhya Region with job oriented programs.
Basic goals & objectives of the Department of Computer Science are listed below:
- To prepare high quality Computer professionals for a global market by grooming them in State of the art digital technology and relevant software development skills.
- To develop student’s sensitivity and capability to continually respond to changing technology and working environments, by using an ‘active learning’ approach.
- To enable students to utilise opportunities in a framework of professionally sound and quality conscious organizations, as well as to take up entrepreneurial ventures.
- To enable research in Computer & IT related field by creating experimental laboratories & exploring frontier areas in relevant field.
The department ensures that the above stated objectives are constantly met and learning outcomes are monitored through academic activities like assignments, seminars, periodic test, tutorial & feedback. Control measures have been designed to ensure that the goals and objectives of the department are keeping pace with the local, national and international scenario.
The Department has a moderate number of Computers and peripherals in laboratories. Internet connectivity is provided to students through wifi networking. Smart classroom with LCD is available for lectures. Students are exposed to work in all the three popular environment i.e. DOS, WINDOWS and Linux. Further substantial improvement in parallel computing and Interdisciplinary research in the Dept. of Computer.
Library & E-library
The Department of Computer Science has its own departmental library to cater to the partial need of students However; Central Library has a substantial number of reference books in the field of computer science. Most recent books are continuously added in the Central library through UGC funds. Students are encouraged to make use of e-contents from e-library e.g. PG pathshala, NPTEL, e-books, PPT, PDF and other internet stuff which is made available offline as well as online to the students. To optimize searching time, syllabus wise customized e-content has been prepared by students which is continuously upgraded and distributed to student through e-media. This facilitated the students in their study, specially during Covid period. Most of the students of the department make use of their smart phone for this purpose; however for those who cannot afford, Department provides access facility. Science has been done.
For effective learning, other than conventional Chalk & talk lecture method, teachers use the latest modern technology for teaching. NPTEL/ MOOCS video lectures based on syllabus have been compiled and made available offline in the Department. As per requirement virtual classes are organized for students to watch these videos. Department encourages use of open software, Amrita Virtual labs, Google Colab etc for Laboratory.
Research Activities: The research work in Parallel Computing, Machine Learning, Data Mining and Computational Biology has been explored to address the problems in the related fields. Quality research papers have been published and presented in the national and international journals/ conferences by the research group of the department including faculties, Ph.D. and M. Phil. students of the department.
Performance and achievements:
Apart from teaching Departmental courses, faculty of department of computer science extends their hands to support various Departments & colleges under UTD in running Computer related Programs/Courses.
The Department of Computer Science plays pivotal role in creating digital awareness as well as in digitization of A.P.S.U campus. It has been entrusted with the responsibility to provide Technical support for Plagiarism check using URKUND software, Uploading thesis under Shodhganga project. During pandemic several digital initiatives has been taken by the Department. This includes organizing various national and international level webinars, invited talks, organizing online quiz, test etc apart from online teaching.
Activities performed in the Department during last year:
- Two days online workshop was organized on "Exploring virtual lab as complementary facility to physical labs" incollaboration with Virtual lab IIT Delhi on 11th-12th October, 2021.
- Online Faculty Development programme on "Global Business Foundation Skill" was organized by Department of Computer Science, APSU, Rewa in collaboration with Infosys BPM on 18th-29th October, 2021.
- A national webinar was organized by the department and IQAC APSU Rewa, in collaboration with RGNIIPM Govt. of India Nagpur on 10th February 2022 on the topic "Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Patent and Design filing process".
- On the occasion of National Science Day, 28th February 2022, Department organized Online national webinar on "Integrated approach in S & T for sustainable Future"
- On the occasion of Independence day 15 August 2022 NDLI Club & E-library APSU Rewa has organized National level Independence day special quiz to celebrate "Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav" & total 1300 students participated from 10 different states across the nation.
- Department of computer science in association with Persistent Systems Ltd.,Pune and Vastek Inc.,USA organized one day workshop on "Gearing up for Workforce of Fifth Industrial Revolution " on 19/09/2022.Inthis webinar placement related information has been provided to the students.
- Under Tech- Saksham programme of MOU signed with Edunet Foundation & APSU , Girl students of Computer Science related courses will be provided free technical training by Microsoft and SAP professional. An Online Orientation program for this purpose was organized on 7th october 2022 by Edunet Foundation in which more than 200 girl students of various colleges having computer Science subject participated.
- Under MOU signed with Edunet Foundation & APSU, Online Faculty Development programme free of cost was organized on Artificial Intelligence by Microsoft and SAP Professionals in collaboration with Edunet Foundation from 27th-29th October, 2022. More than 100 Faculty of Computer Science Subject participated from various colleges of Madhya Pradesh in this Faculty Development Program.
- On the occasion of 67th Foundation Day of Madhya Pradesh Department of computer Science & E-library APSU Rewa organized National level Online Quiz Competition to make people aware of history and developments of Madhya Pradesh. Total 3815 no. of students from 12 different states across the nation participated in the quiz.
- Under MOU signed with Edunet Foundation & APSU , on line webinar for the students was organised on’ Building Career in SAP and Technology Ecosystem’. Under this Program free access is provided to registered students on LMS of SAP study material.
- The department has successfully commenced a drive to register the students in the "USHA" Urja Shaksharta abhiyaan of M.P. Govt under which nearby 711 students of university got registered and about 96 certification were done.
- National digital library club for A.P.S. University has been created and more than 150 students/faculty of the department have become members of this club.
- The department celebrated Hindi diwas and lighted a deep in the name of "Ek deep Matr bhashake Naam" in the premises.