This department was established in September, 1984 under the 6th Five Year Plan. Number of teaching posts sanctioned are one professor, one reader and three Lecturers by the UGC. The department runs PhD and M.A. (A.I.H.C.& Arch.) Programmes as regular programmes while B.A. (Hons) programme is offered as a Self-Supporting Programme (SSP). One senior professor is working against the sanctioned post while two Guest Faculties are working in regular Programmes and three Guest faculties are teaching in B.A. (Hons.) Programmes under SSP. The department invites eminent professors from across the country to deliver invited Talks to the students.
The study centre for Tourism came into existence in 1991. MBA (Tourism Administration) and BBA (Tourism and Hospitality Management) are job oriented self-financing programmes run by the department. Special emphasis is given on developing the students in Tour and Travel Management, Tourism Marketing, Heritage Management, Hotel and Financial Management. Job training is mandatory for each and every student. Four Guest faculty are working in tourism programmes; Among them one is PhD and the other is M.Phil. Most pass out students are employed in various agencies of India and Abroad. Tourism is one of the most job-oriented programmes and a very popular subject in the University.
- Museum: Our museum was established during the year 1991 with a good number of rare variety of fossils, pre historic tools, Pottery, Paintings, excavated materials and unique Cylindrical Stupa with Epigraphical and Paleographical remains of “Boudha” mantra and “kalma” of Islam, Rare type of architectural and sculpture fragments are preserved here. We have some original manuscripts in Sanskrit, Hindi and Urdu Script. Our museum is open for all.
- There is a rich Departmental Library with about 6000 books, dissertation, Theses and a Book Bank.
- Teaching of Human Values, Heritage Property of Madhya Pradesh & Educational Tour is part of our teaching which includes visits to Archaeological and Historical Sites.
- Computer Facility with latest PCs & Internet connection, Scientific Lab with Archaeological, photographical and scientific equipments are available in the department.
- Department has a rich photo archive.
The department since its inception has made significant contributions in the areas of research and teaching and catered to the needs and aspirations of the people. With the best efforts put in by the faculty members and students of the department, the hidden cultural heritage of the region, so dear to the nation, is being brought before the scholarly world. Extensive explorations of ours have brought to light remains of the prehistoric and historic period. A host of sites of architectural and sculptural importance, rock-shelters and paintings, megalithic burials etc. have been discovered in the recent past. The most significant achievement, however, lies in the exploration of architectural and sculptural remains of Buddhist stupas, temples and Saivite monastery (BCE 300-CE 1700). With the active participation of local enthusiast, we have been able to locate the first ever known Sun temple of the region at Boudha Danda (CE 700-800) and a brick temple at Madfe Danda in Sidhi. Another important discovery, the Saivite monastic complex of Chunari (CE 1000-1200) in Rewa is the only surviving monastery of the Kalachuris after Chandrehe in Sidhi. Besides, our explorations have yielded nearly thirty new sites of architectural and sculptural importance. This study dates back the antiquity of architectonic activities of the region to CE 600-700. The visiting teams of UGC and NAAC have appreciated the good work done by the department and recommended its future expansion.